HelloOOOOooo Summertimes! We have arrived!
What is it about summer that gets us all in that frame of mind to have fun? Is it the longer daylight hours, the weather, the sense of freedom from layers and layers of binding constricting winter clothing? I can easily contest that it is the combination of longer days and the romanticism of the lazy summer day….I long for nothing more than a great backyard party, BBQ’s, sunshine and power lounging at the pool with a good book/magazine ( I am a magazine junkie ), cool cocktail and smooth summer jams.
This summer we kicked ours off at one of my absolute favorite places to go, Palm Springs, California. Hot days, cool pools and lots of relaaaaxing. Our main stay was the ACE Hotel and Swim Club because they are so dog friendly, we can bring our favorite yorkie to the pool with us. NO he can’t go swimming, nor would he want to…(he is the best backward walker I know, you get him near a body of water and...well he backs up as far as he can.) but he can come to the pool and lounge around with us poolside. It is a relief to bring him rather than let him stay in the room alone, where all he would do is bark and annoy the other guests. It is here where I had met some great people who were interested in our upcycled lego rings and the name of the store Orange Blush. To some Orange Blush is a cosmetic product, a cocktail, or to me, it is just the warmth of home. The cocktail, of course, got us chatting about what is it and how to make it...so I am posting our recipe for your enjoyment of the long lazy summer day, good for backyard parties, BBQ’s and relaxing pool side lounging.
What you will need:
- Cocktail Shaker
- Ice Cubes for lightly shaking
- Whiskey Cubes
For Two Glasses:
- 4 Parts Orange Juice ( I prefer fresh squeezed if you have the energy and time)
- 2 Parts Cranberry Juice
- 4 Parts Fizzy Water ( or Sparkling for those who don't say fizzy, I use a grapefruit flavor but lime, orange or plain would work just as well)
- 2 Parts Vodka (Optional)
- 2 Parts Cointreau, Triple Sec, or Patron Orange Liqueur
- Orange Peel for garnish (Optional)
Mix all ingredients into your shaker, add ice, and lightly shake. Use strainer to pour into a glass and finish with the orange peel garnish. Pro-tip, if trying to avoid the additional watering down of your drink add our Velity Whiskey Cubes! These are perfect for “ice” when chilled in the freezer. (Double up ingredients if making more than two drinks.)
**Serve and enjoy with smooth summer jams.
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World: Tears for Fears
- Ladies: Lee Fields & the Expressions
- You Make My Life A Sunny Day: Phoenix Express
- California Soul: Marlena Shaw
- Be Alright: Zapp
- I Choose You: Willie Hutch
- Planet Caravan: Black Sabbath
- Going To California: Led Zeppelin
- Round and Round: Ariel Pinks Haunted Graffiti
- Blood Buzz Ohio:The National
- Sylvia: Arthur Verocai
- Two Weeks: Grizzly Bear
- Apocalypse Dreams: Tame Impala
- This River Will Never Run Dry: Moose
- Batucada: Bebel Gilberto and Vinicius Cantauria
- I’m Not in Love: 10 CC’s
- When I'm Small: Phantagram
- She’s Not There: The Zombies
- Shelter Song: Temples
- Love is Only Sleeping: The Monkees
There are so many great summer jams! I could go on forever, but add yours below! I'd LOVE to know what everyones favorite summer songs are even if it is country music!